What Is the Role of a Pulmonologist?
A pulmonologist is a physician that specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the respiratory system, which includes the lungs and other organs that aid in breathing.
Your respiratory system consists of the following components:
- The mouth and nose
- The Throat (pharynx)
- Box for speaking (larynx)
- bronchial tube (trachea)
- Bronchial tubes are tubes that run through the lungs.
- Lungs and its components, such as bronchioles and alveoli
A Pulmonologists Treats:
- Asthma is a disease that causes your airways to become inflamed and narrowed, making it difficult to breathe.
- Emphysema and chronic bronchitis are examples of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), a category of lung disorders that includes emphysema.
- Cystic fibrosis is a genetic illness that causes sticky mucus to accumulate in your lungs.
- Emphysema is a lung disease that causes damage to the air sacs.
- Interstitial lung disease is a set of disorders that cause your lungs to scar and harden.
- Lung cancer is a cancer that develops in the lungs and spreads throughout the body.
- Obstructive sleep apnea causes breathing issues and respiratory failure by causing periodic pauses in breathing while sleeping.
- Pulmonary hypertension, or excessive blood pressure in the arteries of the lungs, is a condition that affects many people.
- Tuberculosis is a lung infection caused by germs.
- Bronchiectasis is a lung disease that causes your airways to expand and become flabby or scarred.
- Bronchitis is an irritated airway accompanied by a cough and excess mucus. It has the potential to cause infection.
- Pneumonia is an illness that causes your lungs’ air sacs (alveoli) to swell and fill with pus.
- COVID-19 pneumonia is a type of pneumonia that can cause serious breathing issues and even death.
Pulmonology Department at Kosmos Superspeciality Hospital
Our Pulmonary department cares for all types of lung diseases, breathing problems and sleep disorders. We are here to diagnose and treat a range of lung conditions and breathing problems. Our multidisciplinary team is passionate on improving the lives of any individuals living with respiratory diseases by delivering first class treatment and comprehensive care.
At Kosmos Superspeciality Hospital we offer an individualized management plan using the latest treatment options. Our Specialist Doctors and dedicated staff will assess and optimize your lung condition through a series of test necessary to diagnose and treat your condition. We are able to provide full tests for diagnosis and ongoing monitoring of respiratory conditions in both outpatient and inpatient settings.
Your treatment will depend on the nature of the respiratory disease. Comprehensive programs are provided for patients conditions such as:
- Bronchopulmonary dysplasia
- Cystic fibrosis
- Home mechanical ventilation
- Interstitial lung disease
- Lung transplantation
- Sleep disorders (sleep apnea, narcolepsy, behavioral sleep problems)
- Bronchiectasis/Lung infection
- Bronchoscopy services
- Lung Cancer
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Interstitial Lung Disease (ILD)
- Oxygen assessment
- Pleural Disease
- Sleep Disordered Breathing
- pleural diseases (pleural effusion, empyema, pneumothorax)
- Neuromuscular diseases with respiratory complications